Monday, May 2, 2011

Out of sorts

Adrian is home sick today and is counting pages in the Harry Potter book series, having already organized his library once by the main background color, and once by the color of the printed title.

Him: "Mom, can you get me the 15th book in the Magic Treehouse series?"
Me: "..."
Him: "I think it's green."
Me: "......"
Him: "The words are greenish-yellow, I mean."
Me: "......... OK. Here it is. Wouldn't it be quicker to do it by number?"
Him: "However, I like it better this way."

(He is playing with conjunctions. I don't think he has the usage nailed down quite yet.)

These are some of his recent organizing projects:

-- Cutlery, by size.
-- Books, by color of title.
-- Lego Star Wars guys, alphabetically and somewhat by whim ("Jabba" vs. "Hutt").
-- Bath toys, by material.
-- Shirts, by background color.
-- Stuffies, by color and size.

In the classroom, I believe he also helped organize the library in the regular way (alpha by author).

While I respect and admire his passion, I do wish he would finish all of one project before walking 10 feet away and starting another. My poor spine is protesting all the stooping and scooping this spring. And yes, I do require him to clean up most of what he takes out; but I'm not quick enough to stop him from taking out more than he can get picked up before story time.

Now, if we could only channel his powers for good...

No comments:

Post a Comment